"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, January 6, 2012

Day #6: Changes

 
I have been wanting to paint these changing leaves ever since this fall when I saw them hanging on the tree - the colorful leaves overlapping the green underneath...one of natures most beautiful art works.

I created this painting by soaking the watercolor paper and then dropping in the colors wet-into-wet - dragons blood,indian red, sap green, indian yellow and pthalo blue to create various greens and fall colors. After it dried well, I drew the leaves in with a #2 pencil and then painted in the background leaves with darker greens and dragon blood and indian red using negative painting techniques.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Autumn leaves have always been my favorite (if you remember my previous screen name, you'll know how true this is!). Beautifully done, Barb. I seem to always recognize when a painting has been done using negative painting and I'm not sure why that is so. They just just have a certain look, I guess. So interesting hearing how you've created this beauty and I find myself thinking on your words and trying to do the same in my head.

Hope you are holding up ok, Barb. I know you must be in some pain. You are in my thoughts!

Christiane Kingsley said...

Very beautifully done, Barb. I am impressed by your productivity!
Stay well!