"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Low Horizon Used With Vertical Composition

Today's project was doing a composition with a low horizon line with a vertical format.  This is a small, abstract, acrylic sketch done on an illustration board chip.  It is 5" x 7".   I might point out another compositional element, sometimes considered a mistake, unless it is done on purpose.  (And sometimes it is still a mistake!) : The area in the lower right .  In this case I converged lines and objects in one place on purpose to pull attention to that area. This is call a tension/stress point - usually considered poor composition.  You should usually separate or overlap elements in a composition - but they shouldn't "just" touch!

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

My goodness, Barb! I've missed a couple of posts, which is highly unlike me! Please do forgive me. At any rate, I've gone back and read and enjoyed each of them and your work is, as usual, just beautiful! Love the succulent and the high horizon in a vertical composition pieces. I like this one as well, though I can't quite put my finger on something. It may well be that tension point you mention...I so love mullioned windows though...

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Autumn Leaves! I miss you when you don't comment - hope all is okay with you! I am not crazy about this painting - looks too stark for me. I also don't particularly care for acrylics paintings done in this manner. Acrylics don't glow like watercolor.