"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Painting for Ginny...

My painting friend, Ginny Stiles, in the northwoods of Wisconsin, attended a John Lovett workshop this summer. I have fallen in love with his work and have asked her to sort of pass on some of the knowledge that she gained during the workshop - in other words she is allowing me to "pick her brain!" Using the information she has given me so far, I did a painting today using some of his techniques. It is obvious that I have a lot to learn about his painting style, but I really enjoyed doing this today and look forward to painting more in this style. Thank you so much, Ginny!

5 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Such a charming and delightful piece, Barb. I don't think there is a thing you do that I haven't loved.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Beautiful work, Barb!

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Sherry - this is a learning process for me - I keep pushing myself to learn new techniques/processes - it makes life interesting!!!

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Christiane!

Ginny Stiles said...

It's so fun to see your name in print!!! :-)

I LOVE the painting too and your bled ink lines are looking good. Shadows are super!!!

I think it's a great start toward a "Lovett".

Now you might want to try to use gouache to blend off the detail on the edges of the painting. You might have done this a little? But I think more. You have to be brave about this...I'll see if I can demo that sometime. I think you'll see it in John's videos.

My only suggestion in the main art is that the house be more different colors. You could re-wet and drop in some different shades for the brick...golds, browns?

It would be fun to have some people in this painting too! But if you are like me...you are shy about dropping in people. But wouldn't it liven this scene up!!! Gosh...isn't art fun. But in any case I am SO flattered and pleased to have a dedicated painting! Thank you SO much.