"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, January 5, 2009

Portrait of Rachel


This is a painting of my grand daughter Rachel, which i just finished. I painted it for the Watercolor Passion web site's spring quarter project which is "Children". I took the photograph I used for this painting about a year and a half ago and was experimenting with light sources. The photograph is above, the painting below. Rachel is very close to being 7 years old and looks more like 10. I think the title of this painting should be "7 going on 40." Children certainly grow up fast now! As you can see, Rachel has beautiful eyes, and my painting doesn't even begin to do them justice. Oh well..... The size of this painting is 1/4 sheet of 140 lb. Arches cold-pressed watercolor paper.

4 comments:

Ramana KV said...

This is just amazing.. I especially like the whites that were left out in the hair.. It's very nice..

Vicki Greene said...

Beautiful little girl and beautiful painting. Great job.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Barb,

This is just lovely and I think you should be very proud of this. I like the sunlit quality of her hair and those eyes are so beautiful, both in the photo and your painting.

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks to you all for commenting on Rachel's portrait. Your comments and suggestions are always very welcome.
Barb