"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, August 25, 2008

Tolliver Falls

Tolliver Falls, Swallow Falls State Park, Maryland
I finally finished the August waterfall project painting for the Watercolor Workshop! - just in time for the end of August! - I was pushing it! :) This is a painting of one of my favorite places - Tolliver Falls - in the western Maryland panhandle in the Laurel Highlands. This smaller falls is in a very secluded location and it is necessary to do a little hiking in order to see it. I was surprised recently how much the area around it had changed in the 45 years since I had last seen it. The trees are so big, I know that I'm not smaller! :) I did this usingIndian red, Indigo, Viridian Green, Burnt Sienna, Violet and Indian Yellow on a 1/2 sheet of 140 lb. Strathmore Watercolor paper which I wanted to use up. I have nothing against the Strathmore, but I just really prefer Arches cold pressed, 140 lb. paper.

No comments: