"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, February 29, 2008

Watercolor in the Village

Waiting
18"x24"
I finished this painting a couple of weeks ago. It was actually started about 4 years ago when I painted a picture of an Ohio barn with lots of trees in a sunset. I hated the painting and it has been sitting around for 4 years. A while ago I decided to cut up the painting into assorted squares and rectangles and glue it to a piece of illustration board fitting the pieces together into an abstract design mainly in the colors of a sunset. A couple weeks ago I collaged white tissue paper over the design and then, when it was dry, I dry-brushed white gesso over the top of the collaged tissue paper, catching the texture and allowing some of the sunset color to glow through. I then drew my portrait of the woman with black Elegant Writer Calligraphy pen and completed the painting my spreading the black ink with watercolor brush and water and some davy's grey watercolor paint. My source for the drawing was the body of one person and the head of another which I cut and pasted on the computer to create a 'new' person.

1 comment:

cPrentiss said...

Well sister mine - she is great. I like the additions you made to her. She is now an "old woman". You blog is great, keep posting more and more paintings. As you know i love to see your work. Tomorrow night is soup night = right? Is Rock still cooking.
love ya carol