"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Amy's Lilies

Last month a dear friend brought me a beautiful Stargazer Lily as a hostess gift.  Needless to say, it has long since stopped blooming, but, luckily, I took several pictures when it was at it's most beautiful.  This painting was done from one of those photos.  The painting is 9" x 12" and is painted on Acquerello 140 lb. cold-pressed watercolor paper.  The predominant  color is Holbein's quinacridone rose-violet.  I mixed my own greens from pthalo blue, yellow and cadmium red, and used Payne's Grey for the background.  I also glazed the grey over the areas I wanted to lay back, like the center between the 2 major flowers

I think I will use this as one of the lessons for my intermediate watercolor class at Riverside Art Center in Wapakoneta, Ohio.

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

How beautiful, Barb! I think glazing another color over an area is something that I am just learning to do on my own from trial and error. It has clicked for me, at last, I think. Anyway this will be a great piece for your class!

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Sherry...the idea of glazing can be very daunting if you haven't done it, but it is actually not difficult if you remember to lay the glaze over and not disturb the paint underneath. All it takes is a little practice!

debwardart said...

Wow, this is a painting!!! Amazing, you are just amazing! I just taught a pouring w/s this weekend and thought of you!