"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Crystal Bowl with Apples

Golden Paints have developed a line of watercolor paints which they call Qor (Core.)  They have contacted watercolor artists and asked them to experiment and paint with these new watercolors.  I was one of the lucky ones who gets to try them out.  

This painting was painted only with their new paints...I finished it today.  For your information, I like the paints very much.  This painting is 9" x 12" and is painted on 140 lb. Strathmore Windpower cold-pressed watercolor paper.  

A friend, fellow artist and photographer, Deb Holmes, sent me this photo of apples which she photographed.  I thought it was beautiful. Thank you so much, Deb!

As far as Golden Paints is concerned, they will get a thumbs up from me for their new watercolor line.  I plan to continue experimenting with the new paints and see how they work with other papers and mixed media.  A big "Thank You" to them for the honor of being able to work with the paints.  I think I was in Heaven when I received them in the mail!!!

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Ryan and his Thomas Edison Bio-Bottle Sculpture


This is Ryan, my 4th grader grandson, who completed his papier mache sculpture of Thomas Edison this afternoon - these are called bio-bottle sculptures because they use a water bottle and styrofoam balls for the body and head. They are allowed to use any materials to finish this project so I introduced him to papier mache.  He did the papier mache last Monday - he cut the newspaper strips and dipped the paper into the glue. I helped him with the first layer since that actually takes two people if one of you is a 4th grader.  He then took over and formed the features, arms and hands with paper towel pieces dipper in wheat paste He worked very hard on this, with minimal help from his grandmother ( I did do the bow tie and the light bulb he is holding.)  Today, he painted it with acrylics.  

I am very proud of him and all the effort he put into this project and it was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon...quality time with my grandson!!!

Friday, March 7, 2014

Peace Rose

This is the latest painting for my intermediate watercolor class at Riverside Art Center in Wapakoneta, Ohio.  It is 11" x 7" and is painted in transparent watercolor on 140 lb. cold-pressed watercolor paper.  This painting photographed a little more intense  than it really is and the background is not pink and blue - just white and blue.  Wish I could figure out this camera of mine!!!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Dave's Colorado Truck


This is another painting I have prepared for my class at Riverside Arts Center in Wapakoneta, Ohio.  The painting is 10" x 13" and is painted on 140 lb. cold-pressed Acquarello watercolor paper.  

This is from a photograph taken by Dave McNeal, one of my  long time painters at the arts center.  He and his wife Jane took it in Colorado last year and sent it to me because they know how I love to paint vintage trucks.  I really appreciate it when my friends send me pictures of vintage trucks!!!  Thanks, Dave and Jane.

Monday, February 17, 2014

The Graveyard: Final version

I think that I have finally finished this painting - I signed it...a good sign!
This painting is just short of a full sheet of watercolor paper 22" x 29" - it is painted on 140 lb. Acquerello cold-pressed watercolor paper - this painting is watermedia because it was poured with acrylic ink and finished with transparent watercolor with touches of acrylic ink.  I think it calls for a black frame with a narrow white mat.
The idea of this painting is from a photograph by photographer Carla Parris, with her permission, of course.  Thank you Carla!

Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Step House


This is the painting I did from the photo provided us by the Watercolor Workshop Yahoo Group for the monthly paint-along.  It is a 'step-house' from the east coast.  As you can see, I took many liberties with the original photograph when I drew it - eliminating a lot of the foreground and some trees behind the house.  I also changed the format from vertical to horizontal.  I also took liberty and made all the roofs the same color and added some additional colors into the trees which I also softened a lot.  I still tried to keep the stark morning sunlight as it lights up the house and reflects on the trees.
The painting is 9" x 12" and is painted on 140 lb. Acquerella cold-pressed watercolor paper with an assortment of various tube watercolors.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Dahlia

I painted this today for a lesson for my class at Riverside Art Center.  This dahlia is from a photo taken by John Robinson from the website "Paint My Photo."

This painting is 9" x 12" and is painted on 140 lb. cold-pressed watercolor paper.  The pink is from my favorite pink color - Opera - from Holbein paints.

The focal point is, of course, the flower itself, and I tried to soften up the background so it wouldn't compete with the flower.


No comments: