"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, September 8, 2013

"October Song" - First Place!!! Yippie!


I was pleasantly surprised to take a First Place award at the Riverside Art Center's  show this last Friday night.  The competition was very stiff and so I am honored as well as surprised.

This is the painting that took the honors - "October Song" -  a poured watercolor  finished with negative painting techniques which I finished late last year.  I posted this last November after painting this for a pouring demonstration.  The painting is approximately 16" x 20" and is painted on 140 lb. cold-pressed watercolor paper.

Needless to say - I was blown away and very happy!!!

8 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Being a lover of all things autumn and all things trees, I too find this one a stunner and a winner, Barb. Congratulations!!

Donna Pierce-Clark said...

I'm so excited for you, Barb!!!

Much deserved, I love this piece!!

Love to you!!! Donna

Barb Sailor said...

Sherry,
Thank you so much...I also love leaves and trees.

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Donna...It was such good news to me. I loved this painting from the beginning, but this is it's first award in 3 shows. One never knows what will appeal to a judge.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Well-deserved honor, Barb! Love the shading and, of course, the colors!

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks so much, Susan!

Ginny Stiles said...

Congratulations!
I am SO proud of you.
Poured paintings...wow I haven't attempted one in a long time. You are an inspiration.
Perfect for this time of year.
It reminds me that we should all "rotate" our paintings around the house..put up seasonal things.
I do have 3 Christmas paintings that I put during the holidays. That's what I say to folks who complain they have no more wall space. ROTATE. Hahaha.

Barb Sailor said...

Hi Ginny,Thanks so much!
Well, as you know, I love to pour - love the beautiful spontaneous mingling of colors.
You know, my mother always put up a painting above the fireplace that I did in high school - a mosaic-like painting of Mary and Baby Jesus. I think of that often and how she would decorate for the seasons. (and my grandmother always had a rose in a bud vase on her kitchen table.
Rotate is definitely the solution!
Have a good week preparing for the big shift down south. In the mean time, enjoy the colors!!!