Sunday, March 17, 2013
Red Dahlia (WIP)
I finally got around to do the pouring for the 2nd painting I had prepared for the demonstration for the Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society on March 6th, and wasn't able to go because of snow. The painting is 24" x 22" and is on Fabriano Artistico 140 lb. cold-pressed watercolor paper.
I had previously drawn the flower using a grid to enlarge the drawing on the paper. Then I applied the liquid miskit with the sharpened wooden handle of a paint brush. I poured this today - this is still with the miskit on the painting. I used watered down acrylic ink instead of watercolor for the pouring part of the painting because I like the intense color and the fact that the paint will not lift when I paint over it with watercolors.
I wet the paper and applied the paint with an eye-dropper on the wet surface trying to control the flow of the colors as much as possible. The miskit helps to keep it in the specific areas- ex. the green running into the red, etc.
After the paint dried, I removed the miskit with a liquid mask remover and it is now ready for me to start the painting with watercolor to finish the painting.