"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day 18: 30 Paintings in 30 Days - "Obama"

I decided to work on YUPO paper again today and since all the news is about the inauguration, Obama became my subject for the day.
I started by covering the paper with areas of indigo, burnt sienna, yellow ochre, and sepia and after allowing it to dry, I start my painting by drawing directly on the YUPO with a damp paintbrush, lifting out my drawing with the paintbrush.. I probably should have drawn with a pencil first, because there are "problems" with the structure of his face.
After laying out the drawing with the brush, I then laid in areas of color with a lot of wet paint and allowed it to blend and run.  I achieved the effect I wanted, but am unhappy with the drawing.  This painting is 7" x 12" and is painted entirely on YUPO paper with transparent watercolor. Now I will spray it with a fixative to keep it from smearing if it gets wet accidently.

4 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

Very skillful handling of yupo. You are so versatile.

Barb Sailor said...

Thank you so much, Vicki! Versatile? How about jack of all trades, master of none? :-0

Lady Fishbone said...

This is great! :)

Autumn Leaves said...

Love the beautiful effects you got on the Yupo.