"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Urban Darkness

This is another experience with the printmaking paper..it works very well with this type of painting - small and controlled. I wonder how it will act with washes - guess I'll have to find out! I call this one "Urban Darkness" ...I guess because of all the attention on New York City following "Sandy!"


I first did an abstract drawing of a city skyline using curvalinear and geometric shapes. I did a wet-in-wet wash over my drawing and then did glazes over the wash, adding, linear detail at the end with watercolor pencil. I am fascinated right now with combinations of round and rectangular shapes. I am enjoying my experiences with this new paper (Rives BFK) and how it reacts with watercolor instead of printing. I love experimenting with media - guess it's the art teacher in me.

4 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

This is going to sound weird but I see the Grinch's face in this piece too. I love the skyline in there. Love hearing about your experiments with paper.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb, These two pieces are WONDERFUL (I'm including the one from November 1st)! They remind me of Cubist watercolor paintings, maybe some of Charles Demuth. I think your choices of color and tone work. I have some Rives BFK, I'll have to find it and try it some day!

Barb Sailor said...

Hi Sherry - I haven't seen the Grinch's face, and will look more carefully now!!! This is sort of a compillation of my experiences with city skylines - I was raised in Cleveland, so there is some of that in here too - also the bridges!

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Peggy...what an honor to have such a nice comment from you. I have always liked Demuth's work and Feininger's watercolors and of course, Picasso's cubism - I think they all rubbed off on me. I am working a a couple more - until I get it out of my system.