"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Abstract Bottles Designs



This summer at Riverside Arts Center in Wapakoneta I am teaching a mixed media/watermedia class. Our first project - last week - was an acrylic painting on a stamped tissue paper collage.



First we tore the white tissue paper into small pieces approximately 4" x 5" and then stamped designs on them using textures such as rubber stamps and rubberized shelf liners with patterns. Then we did a drawing of bottles in pencil and painted it with acrylic paint. Students were given the option of doing it abstractly or realistically. We used left over pieces of white mat board as our supports.

8 comments:

Sharon Whitley said...

Thanks for sharing how you did these - I especially like the top one with all the colours and you can see all the different stamp patterns. Bet it was great fun too. I really should experiment more with mixed media.

Autumn Leaves said...

I have loved seeing all the different styles you've been doing in the last year or so, Barb. This one is so pretty! The thumbnail on my blog immediately caught my eyes.

I wish I knew the website. The instructor couldn't remember where she got it from, but did tell me to let you know it was out there. I wish I had more info for you.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Barb, I live the stamped background on tissue paper! You are so versatile!

Barb Sailor said...

Sharon - thank you for visiting my blog and commenting on the projects. Although I am primarily a watercolorist, I love experimenting with mixed media.

Barb Sailor said...

Sherry - I have enjoyed doing all the different styles - I think, because I was a high school art teacher for 45 years, I still like to experiment with different media and can't resist presenting my efforts to all of you. Once a teacher, always a teacher, and combine that with my curiosity with media and techniques - and "voila!"
Thanks for the info on my "cyber" painting! :)

Barb Sailor said...

Christiane - I agree - the stamped tissue patterns work so well with this project and I love to see them combined with other approaches.

Vicki Greene said...

You are so creative. Thank you for sharing your work and the how to tips.

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks so much Vicki!