"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Anchor Chain


This painting, like the previous one, was also done in response to a Watercolor Workshop June project challenge. The project was to paint something to do with the seashore, ocean, coast, etc. It did not necessarily have to include the shore, water, etc. I happened to run across the source photograph on the Paint My Picture website and was fascinated by it - voila! My mind ran with it and this is the result...it is something connected with the seashore...right?
 
This is painted on Canson's 140 lb. cold-pressed watercolor paper and is basically a limited palette painting - I used blue-violet, ultramarine blue, indian red with a small amount of payne's gray and van dyke brown in the rocks. The underpainting was wet-in-wet wash with salt texture using the three main colors.

11 comments:

Barbra Joan said...

What can I say Barb.. Yes it has something to do with the seashore and better than that it's so unique.. You've done a fantastic job with it... BJ

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Barbra Joan. Thank you for commenting - it means a lot to me.

Autumn Leaves said...

Another "WOW!" piece, Barb. It is beautiful and leaves me with my tongue drooling in envy at your skills.

Sadami said...

Dear Barb,
Wow! You make so beautiful watercolour paintings that have impressed me so much. Thank you for sharing them.
Kind regards, Sadami

Barb Sailor said...

Sherry - thank you - you make me feel so good! Thanks for commenting.

Barb Sailor said...

Sadami...I am so happy you enjoy my watercolor paintings and am happy that you are visiting my blog. Thank you.

Gillian Mowbray said...

Bravo - you've totally captured the texture of these rusty chain links. I also love the way you've vignetted the scene. x

Christiane Kingsley said...

Beautiful colors, beautiful composition,beautiful painting:-)

Ginny Stiles said...

I am so jealous that you are so prolific and think so outside the box in your subjects!

Anonymous said...

BARB, I HAVE TO THANK YOU FOR HAVING A NAME I COULD REMEMBER. BECAUSE I CHANGE MY PASSWORD NAME ON GOOGLE I LOST ALL MY ART AND PAINTING BLOGS. I BET I HAD 50 OF THE, I FELT LIKE I HAD DIED WHEN I WENT TO MY DASHBOARD AND THEY WERE ALL GONE. YOURS WAS THE ONE I COULD REMEMBER WITH A COUPLE OF OTHERS. ALSO ,THANKS TO YOUR BLOG I COULD PICK OUT A COUPLE OF ARTIST AND START RENEWING A LIST. BEING 73 AND STUCK IN A CHAIR MOST OF MY DAY THE BLOGS GIVES ME GREAT PLEASURE. I'M STILL LOOKING FOR A FAVORITE PICTURE TAKER. HIS NAME IS LAMBERT. THE BLOG IS JUST CALLED LAMBERT BUT I CAN'T FIND IT. MAKES ME VERY SAD.I LOVED HIS WORK. A FENCHMAN FROM NEW YORK CITY. OH WELL, IF IT'S MEANT TO BE HE'LL POP UP. AT LEAST I'M BACK LOOKING AT YOUR WORK. THANK YOU FOR HAVING A NAME LIKE BARB SAILOR. HEHEHE.

GRANNY FROM TAMPA

Barb Sailor said...

Gillian,Christiane, and Granny! Thanks so much for your comments. Ginny - not so prolific this week - You are the one who has been prolific - I am so impressed with your work from the workshop! So beautiful!