"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, April 21, 2011

"Nature's Debris" - Discovering Your Connections in Nature

The Beam book states that one of the functions of the artist is to create chaos, and then to find order and resolve that chaos. In this project, you create chaos and add order by painting and lifting. I wet my paper and layed down earth-toned washes and covered it all with plastic wrap. The plastic wrap naturally prints patterns into the paper, and when the paint is dry, you remove the wrap and reveal the designs left behind on the paper. Then you lift paint here and there and create new organic shapes with paint.

We have had a lot of storms and tornados recently in our state and this reminded me of storm damage which I call "Nature's Debris." This painting is 9" x 12" and is painted on 140 lb. cold-pressed watercolor paper.

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

For some reason, I am reminded of the floors that line the halls of a school. Gorgeous palette!

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Sherry. Yes - I can see that! It also has a sort of mosaic look to it.

Unknown said...

That is so cool! I love the effect that you achieved! Wow!