"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Rosie's Pointsettia

I finished this small painting tonight.  It is a get-well card for a dear friend.  It is painted on 140 lb. Canson Tientes 140 lb. watercolor paper and is 5" x 7" in size.  First I loosly drew the flower and then I randomly poured liquid mask over the surface and sprayed it with water  to form abstract patterns.  After it dried I covered the surface with water and poured colors wet into wet over the surface, trying to keep them approximately in the correct areas.  After it dried (with the help of the hair dryer) I removed the mask and then tightened the painting with both positive and negative painting.   I like the random areas of light created by the mask.

13 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Beautiful card and sentiment!!

jgr said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your technique, too.

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Studio at the Farm. I think she liked it!

Barb Sailor said...

jgr...Thank you for commenting and visiting my blog!

RH Carpenter said...

I've seen a lot of cards and paintings of poinsettias but this is one of the best. Just loose enough and such vivid flowing color! WOW!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Rhonda - it is so great when another artist recognizes what you are trying to accomplish.
Yay!

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Barb,

I would hate to get sick to receive this, but if I was I am sure I would feel much better, much faster! This just glows and is such a warming painting.

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Susan. What is 'warming' is that beautiful sunset picture you took from your yard. Lovely colors.

Ruth Steinfatt said...

I like pouring watercolours too..you get such a fresh look.

I really like this one :)

Christiane Kingsley said...

This is beautiful...it is so "fluid"!

Barb Sailor said...

Ruth...I love to pour...I noticed that you pour in a lot of your paintings - they are beautifully 'watercolorly!'

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Christiane! That is a wonderful compliment, coming from you.