"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Haitian Makeda Dancer

This painting was started with a poured background - wet-into-wet- with three colors...fleshtone, antwerp blue and quinacridone rose-violet. I added salt while it was still wet and then allowed it to dry (with the help of the hair dryer.) I really like the colors resulting from the combination of the fleshtone and the rose violet. Then I drew my dancer on the dry painting with pencil using one of the dancers from a photo of a group of Makeda dancers that I found on the internet. I used the dancer as inspiration and did not really copy it, due to copyright restrictions. I made many changes while I was drawing. Then I lifted some of the lights and darkened some of the areas with watercolor to help pop the painting.  It is painted on 140 lb. cold-pressed watercolor paper.

7 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

This is a stunning painting,Barb. The colors are gorgeous and the total effect is very striking. I love the effect of poured watercolors. This has to be one of my favorite paintings of 2010 - it is so full of joy and light and life!

Studio at the Farm said...

Very cool effect, and sumptuous colors.

Barb Sailor said...

Christiane...Thank you so much...you are so kind with your comments. I appreciate them so much.

Barb Sailor said...

Studio...thanks very much! I feel that the colors are the strongest element in this painting.

jgr said...

Barb your colors are breathtaking!! and I love the dancer too-WOW!

Barbra Joan said...

The movement and color of this piece is so vibrant.. It draws you in to the dance !!!

Barb Sailor said...

Jane and Barbra Joan... Thanks so much for commenting on my dancer. Thank you also for following my blog so faithfully this year!
Happy New Year to everyone!
Barb