"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Painting in the Rain

Three good painting friends and I just spent a week painting in Wonderful West Virginia!  We rented a great cabin at Pipestem Resort- deep in the mountains of southern West Virginia.  Pipestem is chucked full of wonderful scenery and is also close to the New River Gorge National Park where we painted the Sandstone Falls one day.  In this picture, we were painting on the banks of the Bluestone River in the Bluestone Gorge, which you reach by riding a tram deep into the valley down the side of a mountain.  What a view!  What an experience!  Unfortunately it rained that day but we painted anyway - as you can see in this picture of me in my blue raincoat (which was given to me by my friend Theresa - she brought 4 of them home from her Niagra Falls Maid of the Mist boat experience.)  Thank goodness for raincoats!  We had fun anyway!  I will post the painting in the future.

3 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Sounds like a great place, Barb, and you certainly are a dedicated painter!! I'd be inside with a warm cup of coffee, watching the rain from the window of my cabin :)

Barb Sailor said...

It is a beautiful place, Rhonda. I must be nuts - instead of dedicated. My hands were so cold, they were absolutely numb:( I did eventually go back to the cabin and warmed up with a hot cappucino! We had a great time in spite of the dreary weather...quality "sister" time.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Barb, I think I am more like you. Once when painting alongside the Virgin River in Zion Nat'l Park with a Carl Purcell workshop it was so misty and cold that most of the painters went back to the hotel to paint in the workshop room. Not me, I waited until my hands were so cold I could not feel the brush in my hand to leave. A warm drink was definitely in order at that point! The few who stayed beyond that point were treated to a break in the clouds and a wonderful rainbow. No matter to me, though, I could not have stayed one minute longer.

I'm glad you had this opportunity, the scenery must have been wonderful.