"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Painting the Bluestone

The second day we painted on our art holiday, we painted in the rain.  After taking the tram down into the Bluestone Gorge, we spent the afternoon in our blue raincoats painting the Bluestone!  I put an awful lot of color into this painting considering it was a dreary, drippy afternoon which turned very chilly later in the afternoon.  In spite of the weather, it was an enjoyable time.  I think this painting is rather overwhelming as far as color is concerned, but this is the way I saw it!  The painting is 9"x12" and it is painted on a canvas panel.

4 comments:

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

The rainy day must have brought out the mystery of this location as I see your painting as quite mystical. I congratulate you on your transfer from studio watercolours to plein air oils in such a short time. With all those blues around, why not another version painted in monochrome blues ??.

Barb Sailor said...

Joan...I also think it has a mystical feel to it - and the day had a mystical feel. One of my friends told me my oils had a watercolor feel even though they were oils- in my opinion that is not all bad. Both painting styles realistic - I can't seem to get away from that ...and I feel that a person's style is their "style" - probably no matter what media. Eh?
Monochrome blue? Good idea! Maybe I will have to pursue that.

irinasztukowski said...

Great piece of art Barb. It is visible that so much work hours were put into this painting. Wonderful rocks and super composition. The tree is like a frame keeps it all together.

thanks,
Irina

Barb Sailor said...

Irina...I love this painting even though it is somewhat over the top:)I am tempted to go back into it and tame it down a little, but then something inside me says - no - leave it alone - it is how I felt at the time. Crazy - Huh!
I am so glad that you commented and that you like my over the top baby!