"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Relic 2...Fireballs

This is the third experiment in YUPO and the second in the Relic series. This is watercolor on YUPO paper.   Once again, the inspiration was from sketches from North American petroglyphs and I was experimenting with textures on YUPO.  This is very 'freeing' for me and a lot of fun!  This color scheme is a tetradic color scheme and I did it from the paint I had left over from the tetradic painting which I posted earlier on this blog...blue-violet, red-orange, blue-green, and yellow-orange.

4 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Nice, bright painting, Barb. The textures, especially in the light background seem very interesting. Could you tell us a bit more about how you achieved these effects?

Autumn Leaves said...

Another great piece in this series, Barbara. (For some reason, I am now wanting green olives! LOL) Love the petroglyphs; you've managed to modernize them and give them light without taking away from their history. Hope I'm saying that right but it is what I am thinking!

Barb Sailor said...

Christiane...the background textures in this painting were created with a rubber stamp my daughter gave me - it is approximately 4" x 6" and resembles a cheesecloth pattern. I painted the stamp with a flat brush and stamped the pattern on the YUPO paper. I then developed the painting on top of this purple texture - lifting the purple paint where necessary. Thanks for commenting and for your interest.

Barb

Barb Sailor said...

AutumnLeaves...I can see the green olives:) I am so happy you like the modern petroglyphs and I greatly appreciate your comments.
Barb