"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, April 16, 2010

Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Montra, Ohio

The Muses painted together yesterday afternoon minus one of us, Patty, who was undergoing breast cancer surgery.  Patty came through the surgery very well and I think our prayers had more than a little to do with that.  It is also appropriate that we were painting at Rose's church and I know our prayers were heard.

Montra is located about 2 miles from where I live and is a very little town located on 3 hills in the middle of the western Ohio flatlands - thus the name - Montra - after the French word for mountain.  These are hardly mountains, but Montra does stand a little higher than the rest of the landscape.

This painting is painted on an 8"x10" canvas panel and was painted en plein air in about 3 1/2  hours.  One of those hours was here at home last night just pulling things together.  The wind was blowing pretty strongly yesterday and my canvas did a lot of bouncing and moving around.   It was a lovely, spiritual afternoon.

4 comments:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Sending healing thoughts to Patty! I love the simplicity of this church painting. It looks so peaceful and serene.

Christiane Kingsley said...

What a perfect setting to send your thoughts to your friend.
I am astounded by what you can do so quickly in plein air. You have captured so well sthe light, the colors and the atmosphere.

Barbra Joan said...

Lovely painting,plein air is not one of my better talents, yours are just great. my pc is giving me fits right now so hope this gets out to you...

Autumn Leaves said...

This is just simply beautiful, Barbara. Not sure how I missed this post on my rounds yesterday. So glad to hear that your friend came through her surgery well. I know there is power in prayer.