"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Well...the weather is beautiful - too beautiful to be in the studio painting. The only problem is that there are a lot of things that need to be done around the house, and in spite of the good weather, I have no energy. So...guess I'll just have to enjoy the weather and let the work wait! I have been accumulating supplies for the watercolor batik paintings ...Sandy Maudlin has inspired me and as soon as the Kinwashi paper arrives, I will begin that enterprise:) I think it is a fascinating process and there is more information about it on Sandy's blog. (Link on this blog at right.)

3 comments:

Ginny Stiles said...

Oh Barb...I am doing JUST exactly the same thing. I am getting things together to try out batik watercolor inspired by Sandy Maudlin. I have purchased the paraffin and the freezer paper. I have not ordered the sumi ink or the rice paper yet because I am not sure which rice paper to start with. I have some Masa paper but in her instructions on Wet Canvas Masa is not one of the papers she mentions!! I also do not really have anything to melt the wax in...need to find a used fry pan somewhere at a rummage sale. What will you use? Am also now working on references and going through sketches to see if I can "plan out" a piece.
She mentions all the planning it takes. You can see my work on http://picasaweb.google.com/ginny.stiles
Perhaps we can sort of inspire each other through this first attempt at a new idea??

Barb Sailor said...

Hi Ginny...in one of your e-mails to Sandy, you mentioned that you were in the northwoods of Wisconsin ...I am going to be in Boulder Junction next week visiting a dear friend who lives near there...is this close to you?
Now to your questions...I have some masa paper and plan to try it with the batik process...I have also ordered a couple sheets of kinwashi from Dick Blick. I am going to use an old electric skillet that I have here. I would love to stay in communication with you while we experiment with this new process. Now I plan to check out your work on your picasa site. Thanks for writing. Barb

Barb Sailor said...

Ginny...I just viewed your paintings on your Picasa site - they are absolutely stunning...I am so impressed...your technique is wonderful.
Barb