"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Watercolor in the Village

"West Chop Light, Martha's Vineyard"
15" x 22"I finished this painting of the West Chop Lighthouse this week. I painted it from a photograph I took while we were vacationing at Martha's Vineyard in 1992. What they say about the vineyard is very true - it is lovely, interesting architecture, fascinating history and a whole lot of local color. One of the most interesting characteristics of the island is the "light" - not the lighthouses, (though they are beautiful) but the way the sunlight illuminates everything. The late afternoon cast shadows are most beautiful, and that is what fascinated me about the West Chop Light that afternoon when I was driving around the island taking pictures of the lighthouses. I was also attracted to the beautiful clean lines of the lighthouse - the simplicity of the structure. I did a pencil drawing of this photograph several years ago and have wanted to do a watercolor of it. When the July project for the Watercolor Workshop was announced to be anything "red, white, and blue," this photograph came to my mind - the deep blue sky and water and the red, red roof and, of course, the white clapboard of the house itself. This picture was perfect, and "voila!", the result! It also brings back memories of a magical week!

No comments: